19th century French bronze of The Warwick vase cast by SOCIETE DES BRONZES

P1010546.JPG

A good sized copy of the famous 'Warwick vase' an ancient roman marble vase with bacchic ornament that was discovered in a marsh in pieces at Hadrian's Villa, Tivoli in about 1771 by Gavin Hamilton a Scottish art dealer in rome. The vase was restored and later owned by George Greville, 2nd Earl of Warwick where it was displayed at Warwick castle and was much admired. Copies were made in the 19th century in bronze, silver and porcelain. This example was cast in Paris by 'Societe Des Bronzes'. In nicely patinated bronze and of good size.
French. Circa 1880.
£1500

Depth: 
29 cm
Height: 
29 cm
Width: 
41 cm